Fame-øer : Immikkoordaaiva Fame Øer 70Ø?158 (70°49'N 22°30'W). Group of two large and two small islands at the head of Hurry Inlet. Named by William Scoresby during his 1822 expedition as the Fame Islands, after his father’s ship “FAME” of Hull, the first to explore Hurry Inlet. “FAME” was a teak?built ship, a prize from the French purchased by Scoresby Senior in 1817. He sailed it to the whale fishery from 1819–22, and retired after “FAME” was destroyed by fire at Stromness in the Orkneys in 1823. Immikkeertikajik 70Ø?MC71 (70°49'N 22°31'W). Name used by Sandell & Sandell (1991) for one of the islands of the Fame Øer where eskimo ruins were investigated in 1984. It translates as “the little island”.
Gurreholm : Iddigai. Gurreholm 71Ø?159 (71°14'N 24°36'W). Danish scientific station in western Jameson Land near Nordostbugt, built in 1937. It was named after a summerhouse of that name belonging to the owner of the Bulldog shopping chain, who had made a large contribution to the expedition finances. This scientific station was originally planned for a site in the interior of Fleming Fjord, but ice conditions in 1937 made access impossible. Lauge Koch’s expeditions used the station in 1937–38 when Icelandic ponies were stationed here and employed for transport in the wide expanses of Jameson Land. It was occasionally occupied during the war years when it went under the code name Bluie East 3. Post?war it was used occasionally by Danes and Greenlanders from Scoresbysund, and Nordisk Mineselskab also made use of the building during mineral prospecting in the 1970s. Fuchs (1985) mistakenly refered to it as Alfred Wegener’s eastern station, but this was sited some distance to the south. Eskimo ruins in this vicinity have been referred to under the Greenlandic name Ittikajik.
Sydkap : Karngerstua. Sydkap [Suuninnguaa] 71Ø?34 (71°18'N 25°05'W). Prominent south?facing peninsula between the mouth of Nordvestfjord and Nordøstbugt. Named by Carl Ryder’s 1891–92 expedition as Syd Cap. Hunters from Scoresbysund spent long periods here from about 1934, with great success, and the ruins of their houses are found west of the cape. A more substantial house and store?house were built at the cape in 1946 by a Danish telegraphist and his Greenlander wife with a view to fishing for salmon and shrimps, a venture abandoned after a year. Some reports say his wife found it too lonely. Hunters still periodically spent periods at Sydkap. Kangerstua 71Ø?MC72 (71°18'N 25°00'W). Name occasionally used for the larger of the two houses built at Sydkap. See also Kangertertivarmiit. Suuninnguaa [Sydkap] 71Ø?34 (71°18'N 25°05'W). South?facing cape on the north side of the mouth of Nordvestfjord. The name was recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey, and means “its little head”. (Sûnínguâ) Kangertertivarmiit [Sydkap] 71Ø?212 (71°17'N 25°06'W). Eskimo settlement at Sydkap, at the mouth of Nordvestfjord. It has been periodically occupied by hunters from Scoresbysund. Two stone built houses were built here, one a store house. Recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey, the name translates as “those that live at the big fjord”. The name has also been reported as Kangerstua, a reference to the larger of the houses.
Hjørnedal : Hjørnedal. Hjørnedal 70Ø?16 (70°19'N 28°20'W). Valley in Gåseland draining into the sea where Fønfjord meets Rødefjord at a right?angle. Named in this form by Carl Ryder’s 1891–92 expedition.
Hekla Havn : Juuaagai iddersuaa ( Hekla Havn ) Hekla Havn 70Ø?65 (70°27'N 26°15'W). Shallow, sheltered bay on the south side of Danmark Ø. Named by Carl Ryder’s 1891–92 expedition for the expedition ship “HEKLA”, as the bay was its first place of anchorage since leaving Copenhagen and subsequently became the winter harbour. “HEKLA”, registered in Tønsberg, was a 240 ton barque?rigged auxiliary steam whaler, built in 1872. Later it was purchased by the 1902–04 Scottish National Antarctic Expedition and renamed “SCOTIA”. “SCOTIA” was lost by fire in the Scilly Isles during the 1914–18 war while operating as an ice?patrol vessel. Cairns at the mouth of Hekla Havn were built by Ryder’s expedition, and by members of J. B. Charcot’s expeditions in the 1930s. The harbour was apparently known during the expedition under the name Kehlers Havn.
Røde Hytte : Aappalaardaai. Røde Hytte [Aappalaartukajik] 70Ø-MC49 (70°33'N 23°43'W). Hunting hut on the coast of SW Jameson Land. The name has been used in archeological reports. The hut is painted red. Aappalaartukajik [Røde Hytte] 70Ø-MC49 (70°32'N 23°41'W). Name used in Grønlands Landmuseum reports for the eskimo ruins around the present hunting hut known as Røde Hytte in southern Jameson Land. It translates as the “little reddish”.
Flakkerhuk : Mardaai. Flakkerhuk 70Ø?255 (70°28'N 23°21'W). Flat?lying coastal region in south Jameson Land, characterised by a moraine ridge system 1–2 km wide and 50–80 m high. Hermann Aldinger’s original name for this feature was The Highway, and it was changed to Flakkerhuk by the Place Names Committee in 1935.
Kap Stewart : Tsiarngagai. Innakajik [Kap Stewart] 70Ø?281 (70°27'N 22°37'W). Cape in SE Jameson Land. One of the names recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey, it means “the little slope”. (Ivnakajik, Ideridek). Kap Stewart [Innakajik] 70Ø?281 (70°27'N 22°37'W). South?east cape of Jameson Land. It was named Cape Stewart by William Scoresby in 1822 after Dugald Stewart [1753–1828], who was professor of mathematics at Edinburgh University from 1775, and of moral philosophy from 1785. The name was misspelt Kap Steward in the German edition of Scoresby’s narrative (1825). The former settlement north of the cape was also occasionally called Kap Stewart, although usually known as Ittorisseq (see also Tsuletsulekajik). Tsuletsulekajik 70Ø?MC56 (70°27'N 22°37'W). Name reported in use for the hunting place established in 1973 near the old settlement at Kap Stewart, where a few families winter each year.
Kalkdalen : Kangersaaiva. Kalkdal 70Ø?160 (70°50'N 22°19'W). Valley in Liverpool Land east of the Fame Øer. Named in the geological account of G. C. Amdrup’s 1898–1900 expedition as Kalkdalen or Limestone Valley, for the occurrence of limestone. The name was not used on maps until 1934 when it was revived and approved at the suggestion of Brian Roberts.
Dom Brava : Dom brava. Dombravahytten 70Ø?MC9 (¤70°37'N 22°56'W). Name used until about the 1950s for the hut which Constantin Dumbrava built on the east side of Hurry Inlet at the locality known as Dumbrava.. Dumbrava 70Ø?179 (70°37'N 22°25'W). Locality on the east coast of Hurry Inlet where Constantin Dumbrava, a Rumanian scientist, built a house without permission in 1930, with the intention of trading with the Greenlanders. He was picked up by “GODTHAAB” and taken back to Europe in 1931, and the house was taken over by Scoresbysund kommune and used for hunting. The name was recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey. Contemporary accounts of the incident record his name as “Dombrava”, a spelling carried over into the place names and still found on many maps, although it was officially corrected in 1967.
Kap Høegh : Ugalerarder. Kap Høegh [Ukaleqarteq] 70Ø?226 (70°44'N 21°33'W). East cape of Sandbach Halvø, south Liverpool Land. The name first appeared on a map compiled by Janus Sørensen (Sørensen 1928), and was evidently given for Henrik Høegh, manager of the Scoresbysund colony from 1926. The spelling of the original map, Kap Höegh, has survived on many published maps. A hunting hut was built on the low col west of the cape for the use of hunting parties from Scoresbysund. Ukaleqarteq [Kap Høegh] 70Ø?226 (70°43'N 21°32'W). Peninsula on the east coast of south Liverpool Land. Recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey, the name means “there are hares”.
Kap Greg : Qaaliardali. Kap Greg 70Ø?248 (¤70°57'N 21°37'W). Headland, almost an island, on the east coast of Liverpool Land. Named Cape Greg by William Scoresby in 1822 out of respect and regard to Samuel Greg of Quarry Bank. A hunting hut was built on the low col west of the cape by Scoresbysund kommune.
Kap Brewster : Kangigai. Kangikajiip Appalia [Kap Brewster] 70Ø?361 (¤70°09'N 22°03'W). Prominent headland on the south side of Scoresby Sund, whose alternative approved name is Kap Brewster. Until 1978 the authorised Greenlandic name was Kangikajik, but although this name is still found on some modern maps (e.g. Tuborg & Sandell 1999), it is now officially applied to the settlement west of the cape. The present name translates as “little auk’s cape”, and refers to bird colonies on the cliffs. Kangikajik [Kap Brewster] 70Ø?355 (70°08'N 22°16'W). Settlement west of Kap Brewster, occupied periodically. Until 1978 the authorised name of the settlement was Kangikajingmît, the present name Kangikajik formerly being applied to the cape itself (see Kangikajiip Appalia). Kangikajik translates roughly as “the bad cape”. On some recent maps (e.g. Tuborg & Sandell 1999) the name Kangikajik is still used as the Greenlandic name for the cape. (Kangikaiimit). Kangikajingmît 70Ø?MC73 (70°08'N 22°16'W). This was formerly the authorised name for the settlement west of Kap Brewster, and was that recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey. It translates as “those that live at the bad cape”. In 1978 the authorised form was changed to Kangikajik to comply with current usage by the inhabitants. Kap Brewster [Kagikajiip Appalia] 70Ø?361 (70°09'N 22°03'W). Prominent cape on the south side of the mouth of Scoresby Sund. It was named Cape Brewster by William Scoresby in 1822 in compliment to a much esteemed friend, David Brewster [1781–1868]. Brewster was very active in scientific circles, published many papers on the polarisation of light, and invented the kaleidoscope. Kap Brewster [Kangikajik] 70Ø?355 (70°08'N 22°16'W). Settlement west of Kap Brewster periodically occupied by families from Scoresbysnd. Until 1978 the authorised name was Kangikajingmît, the present name Kangikajik formerly being applied to the cape itself (see Kangikajiip Appalia). Kangikajik translates roughly as “the bad cape”. (Kangikaiimit).
Kap Swainsson : Napparnguligai. Kap Swainson [Nuua] 70Ø?335 (¤70°26'N 21°44'W; Map 5). Cape in southern Liverpool Land. Named Cape Swainson by William Scoresby in 1822 in compliment to William Swainson [1789–1855], a naturalist who made valuable zoological collections during travels to the Mediterranean and Brazil. A large hut has been built at the cape by Scoresbysund kommune. Nappangulikajik 70Ø?MC76 (70°26'N 21°45'W). Name recorded by the Scoresbysund local newspaper in 1984 for the Kap Swainson area, and apparently also for the point known as Napparutikajik. Napparutikajik 70Ø?334 (70°26'N 21°45'N). Point on the coast a little west of Kap Swainson, south Liverpool Land. Recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey, the name means “the little upstanding”, and refers to a cairn. Nappangulikajik was reported by the Scoresbysund local newspaper in 1984 as in use for this feature, and the general area of Kap Swainson.. Nuaa [Kap Swainson] 70Ø?335 (70°26'N 21°44'W). Cape in south Liverpool Land. The name was recorded by the Geodætisk Institut 1955 survey, and means “the cape”.
Stewart Ø : Tsulitsuuligai. Steward Ø [Sulussuutikajik] 69Ø?4 (69°54'N 22°55'W; Map 3, 5). Small island SW of Kap Brewster. Named by William Scoresby in 1822 as Steward Island, after Charles Steward of Yarmouth, a companion on one of his earlier voyages to the whale fishery. The name appeared on the maps of the 1879 “Ingolf” expedition (Mourier 1880) in error as Stewart Ø, and subsequently on many other maps in the same form, possibly due to confusion with Kap Stewart (which has also been misspelt “Steward”). The German edition of Scoresby’s narrative uses the “Stewart” form for the cape and island in his appendix (Scoresby 1825 p. 414), and “Steward” for both features on the chart. Stewart Ø is commonly used today by Danes at Scoresbysund. A house was built in a bay on the south side of the island for bear hunting in 1971 on the initiative of Jakob Sanimuinaq, and a second house added in 1972. Sulussuutikajik [Steward Ø] 69Ø?4 (69°54'N 22°55'W). Island SW of Kap Brewster, north Blosseville Kyst. The name was recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey, and derives presumably from its shape as it translates as “the little dorsal?fin”. Four substantial hunting houses have been built in a bay on the north-west side of the island, and hunting families from Scoresbysund regularly over?winter here..
Hytten i Lillefjord : Nastarpaai. Lillefjord [Kangertivatsaakajik] 70Ø?212 (70°38'N 21°40'W; Map 3, 5). Fjord on the east coast of south Liverpool Land. The name first appears as Lille Fjord on a map compiled by Janus Sørensen (Sørensen 1928). Kangertivatsiaakajik [Lillefjord] 70Ø?212 (¤70°38'N 21°40'W). Large bay or small fjord in SE Liverpool Land. Recorded by the 1955 Geodætisk Institut survey, the name means “the little fjord”.