The best time to hike in the areas near Ittoqqortoormiit is in the summerseason when the snow has melted. The summer season is approximately from July until October. The weather is not always reliable, and it is wise always to bring equipment in case a fog or storm is coming. Recommended equipment would be: satellite – or cell phone, in case you need to get in contact with someone. GPS to help you with the direction and especially in foggy weather, where the vision can be very limited. A rifle for selfdefense in case you meet a polarbear or a muskox. A hikingstick can also be a good idea both to support your knees but also to keep balance when crossing a creek. Bring extra warm close in case the weather changes. It is always a good idea to bring a binocular. And of course some good hikingboots are recommended. You can rent all necessary equipment at the touristoffice, Nanu Travel.
Recommended hiking tracks: Marked with level grade, level 1 is a short and easy track and level 5 is a longer and more difficult track. All the trips below are oneday hikingtrips:
· Ittoqqortoormiit to Whalrusbay, 2 kilometers each way: level 1
· Ittoqqortoormiit to Ûnarteq in the vinterseason, 7 kilometers each way: level 2
· Ittoqqortoormiit to Ûnarteq in summerseason, 9 kilometers each way: level 3
· Ittoqqortoormiit to Mågefjeld, 5 kilometers each way: level 4
· Ittoqqortoormiit to Gulefjeld, 9 kilometers each way: level 4